S urgical technologists can go by several different titles, operating room technician, surgical tech, scrub tech or surgical assistant, but whatever term is used, they all play an essential role on the OR team.
But what exactly does a surgical technologist do? Here are some facts that can answer some of your questions.
What Do Surgical Technologists do?
READ MORE >>
- Set up surgical equipment
- Sterilize equipment and maintain a sterile environment to prevent infection
- Ensure there are adequate supplies and instruments
- Assist the surgical team put on sterile gowns
- Transfer patients and set them up on the operating table
- Cover patients with sterile drapes and disinfect the incision site
- Pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons
- Handle specimens to be taken to the lab
- Count supplies and surgical instruments, to ensure that all instruments are accounted for
- After the surgery is completed, may apply dressings to the incision site.
- May also transfer patients to recovery rooms
- Restock operating rooms after a procedure
Featured Surgical Tech Programs