Alberta's oil and gas industry continues to grow, providing many exciting and well-paid job opportunities for those with administrative, computer and clerical skills. Currently Canada is the sixth largest oil and gas producer in the world and the Mining and oil and Gas Extraction industry is expected to grow at an average rate of 2.2% to 2015, with new administrative positions in all industries expected to grow 2.4%.
Administrative Assistants perform many important functions that keep an office organized and running smoothly and efficiently. In the oil and gas industry, administrative assistants must have specialized skills in addition to general office skills to excel in this environment. People interested in entering the oil and gas sector will need to acquire petroleum specific knowledge such as terminology and practices.
A typical Oil and Gas Administrative Assistant’s job duties are as follows:
- Office management or coordination
- Answering phones and screening calls
- Writing and editing memos
- Managing calendars
- Scheduling meetings, taking meeting minutes and in some cases managing those meetings
- Making travel arrangements
- Creating and updating spreadsheets
- Researching data for reports and preparing presentations
- Managing budgets, expense accounts and reconciling budget accounts
Most Oil and Gas Administrative Assistant jobs require a career college diploma from an accredited school. In lieu of a college diploma, some oil and gas companies may accept 4 - 6 years of experience as an executive or administrative assistant in a related company.
Other Related and Demonstrable Skills Include:
- Strong communication skills both written and oral
- A strong aptitude for mastering new technologies
- Organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to handle stress and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize work and work on a number of projects at the same time
- Typing accuracy and speed
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Proficiency in working with computers, the Internet and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)